Choosing the right pendants for your kitchen island can be a challenge. The island is the central hub of the kitchen and making the right choice is key.
MY TOP FIVE TIPS:
1. Opt for direct lighting for food preparation.
2. Don’t go with the builder grade or pendants from the “big box” stores. Here is your chance to make a big impact.
3. Mount each one so that the bottom of the shade is approximately 66″ above the floor so it is possible to look across the room below the pendants. Make sure to plan for the height of the people that are in the space to avoid light glaring in their eyes.
4. The fixtures should have the same finish/feel of the rest of the kitchen.
5. Choose the best you can afford. Pendant lighting is the “jewelry” of the kitchen!
This is a rendering done by Joan of Art that Kelly designed for Brizo’s new launch of the Artesso faucet. As you can see, these pendants are a focal point of the room and really make a statement!!
Here are some of my favorites!
Rebeka Zaveloff – Kitchen Lab Design
Linda McDougald Design – Postcard from Paris Home
As you can see, pendants are beefier and more substantial than they used to be. Don’t be afraid of going too large. This is one of the biggest mistakes I see not only in lighting, but in many aspects of design.
If you need more ideas, the best place to search is Houzz. You will find an array of styles, shapes, finishes and price points. We are proud to be Visual Comfort, Currey and Company and Robert Abbey dealers and would be glad to help with your lighting needs!!