Every design project has a challenge (or sometimes several). Some are fun and challenging to deal with and some are not so fun. Join Kelly and Joann as they share stories from their many client projects and what they’ve learned over the years.
IN THIS EPISODE:
a. Every design project has a challenge (or sometimes several) some are fun and challenging to deal with and some not so fun – but in the end, we are always learning – even after all of these years.
b. Some challenges are presented by a client and some are inherent to the project and the reason why we are being hired. We thought you’d get a kick out of the inside scoop on our world.
2. Design challenge #1 – The dreaded recliner
a. Client “Please redesign my dated awful family room but oh BTW, my husband’s nasty burgundy recliner must stay.”
1. New recliner options
2. Sofas with dual recliners
b. The “angled” space plan so that every person can see the TV.
3. DESIGN CHALLENGE #2 – TV Placement
a. Not everybody will be able to see the TV
b. Symmetry is key
c. Swivel chairs
d. Ottomans on casters and moveable pieces
4. Design challenge #3 – To paint or not to paint – paneling and brick
a. The famous husband challenge
b. Showing the client a visual
c. Paint it!
5. Design challenge #4 – The budget (or lack thereof)
a. Doing some research before you call a designer
b. Consider your home improvements an “investment”
c. Do it right or don’t do it.
6. Design challenge #5 – Husbands and wives who aren’t on the same page
a. What we’ve been witness to – disrespect, priorities at odds, husbands with no idea of what things cost
7. Design challenge #6 – Clients who are slobs
a. Designing to help slobs manage their clutter
b. Performance fabrics
8. Design challenge #7 – Animals
a. The dog , cat or children run the house
b. Can’t replace carpet until the dog/cat die
9. DESIGN CHALLENGE #8 – Incorrect scale
a. An 8 x 10 photo on a 12’ wall with 9’ ceilings
b. Too many teeny tiny objects
10. Design challenge #9 – Clients that are forever haunted by wallpaper
a. Because their builder never primed correctly and it took 3 days to remove the old wallpaper
b. They think it will hurt them for resale to wallpaper