We started the conversation about VRBO, AirBNB and vacation rentals in our last Episode 44. We talked about what “big business” this has become and are very excited about how we are working towards having an impact for owners, managers and the general public.
The varied offering of rentals is quite fascinating! You can go down a rabbit hole when searching, but it is really fun.
A. Luxury Rentals
a. Santorini – luxuryretreats.com – go to the search and type in 120744 It is called the Nafsika Estate – $5,800 to $10,000 per night
a. Perched above the cliffs
b. Includes airport transfer (or you can use the villa’s helipad to arrive) and welcome basket
c. Pool, lounging areas, built in barbeque
d. Maid service twice daily
e. 2 fully equipped kitchens
f. Transportation to the beach
b. California – Redondo Beach/Los Angeles – go to luxuryretreats.com and type Redondo Beach Luxury in the search bar – $3,900 per night
a. 7,800 square feet.
b. 7 bedrooms, 6 baths
c. Beachfront – sitting on a hillside
d. Waterfall features
e. Swimming Pool – pool heating charge of $200 if going in winter months
g. Fully equipped kitchen
h. Fire Pit
i. Basketball court
j. 10 miles to LA airport
B. Unique Rentals:
a. Secluded in-town Tree House – Downtown Atlanta – $375/night
a. 329 5 Star Reviews
b. #1 Most Wished-For Listing Worldwide
c. Featured on The Today Show, Architectural Digest, Travel and Leisure and many others
d. Retreat is for 2 people
e. 3 separate rooms – connected by rope bridges
f. Mind, Body and Spirit
- Mind: Sitting Room, antique furnishings and artifacts including 80 year old windows of pressed butterfly wings, a plaster cast of Siberian Tiger Paw, fossils and has a balcony overlooking an acre of lush woods
- Body: Bedroom: World’s best bedding – Parachute, check out parachutehome.com, 100% long-staple Egyptian cotton and pure linen. Bed is equipped with wheels that can either be inside or rolled out.
- Spirit – Hammock deck – open to the elements and immersed in thick greenery, the deck surrounds a 165 year old Southern Short-Leaf Pine tree the largest of the 7 trees that support the tree house suite.
b. Old Smock Mill – England – oldsmockmill.com – click amenities – $175 to $380 Euro – An old windmill built in the 1800s.
a. A romantic place for 2 guests,
b. Large heavy beams and high ceilings.
c. Nearby castles and gardens
d. Train station with a fast link to London in under an hour.
e. The owners welcome you with fresh flowers picked from their amazing garden and a basket filled with a selection of produce in season, including fresh brown eggs from their friendly organic chickens. You HAVE to go to the site and look at the inside!
c. The Ark – Lake Lanier, GA – arkonlakelanier.com – family owned business and ministry. $4,000 to $5,000/night – $31,000 per week.
a. Great for large groups
b. 14 bedrooms, 12 baths
c. Sleeps 45 guests in the main house and 3 cabins
d. Hot Tub
e. Pool and separate pool house
f. Large fire pit
g. Full size lighted volleyball court
j. Ping Pong
k. 16 seat home theater
l. Large chef’s kitchen
m. 3 Full size refrigerator/freezers
n. They partner with several ministries throughout Atlanta. I was happy to see they also support orphan prevention in Guatemala.
C. What We’ve Noticed
a. The Good
- Responsiveness – Customer Service
- Good Reviews
- Quality (professional) and honesty of photos – lots of them
- Comfort (beds/furnishings)
- Large TVs
- An “experience”
- Local Knowledge
- Pet Friendly
- Airbnb Plus – (higher end tier of Airbnb. It lists homes that have been evaluated by in person inspectors according to a 100 point checklist.
b. The Bad
- Photography – should be professional
- Dated furniture
- Bad paint colors
- Lumpy furniture
- Bedrooms seem like they are “forgotten” and not given as much attention as the main spaces
D. What is Lacking?
a. Wellness spaces
- Exercise Rooms
- Massage Tables
b. Experiential Amenities – things you can help organize and make available
- Cooking classes
- Wine tasting
- Yoga classes
E. What do People Look for Besides Location and Price? – We asked this question on Facebook and here are some responses we got:
a. Proximity to restaurants
b. Quality of kitchen
f. Uber availability
g. Newly Renovated
h. Nice Décor